MU755 String Ensemble
Course: MU755 String Ensemble
Grade: 9, 10, 11, 12
Subject Area: Music
This is a year long course that requires selection of both semesters: S1 and S2.
String Ensemble is a performance ensemble for students:
- Wishing to begin study on violin, viola, cello, or double bass.
- Students may have no experience with instrumental music or already play in Orchestra or Band, but want to study a secondary instrument;
- Who currently play guitar or piano and want to be part of an ensemble, but are not ready for Orchestra or Jazz Band and need to improve note reading and ensemble skills;
- Currently play violin, viola, cello or bass and want to continue but are not ready for more challenging high school music or cannot fit the commitments of Orchestra (auditions, competitions, many concerts, etc) into their busy schedules.
- Become better note readers;
- Practice many drills and exercises to improve facility;
- Work as a group and individually;
- Have a performance requirement each quarter.
- Understand and apply note-reading concepts appropriate for their level of experience
- Understand extensive music vocabulary and apply meaning to performance and in written work
- Understand the relationship of pitches within major and minor scales (whole and half steps) and be able to apply that knowledge to music in any key or mode
- Experience, in rehearsal and performance, major works by master composers of various cultures and historical eras
- Perform with appropriate balance, tone and presentation (stage presence/””professionalism””)
- Participate in a structured rehearsal demonstrating understanding of each musician’s role and expectations within the rehearsal
- Perform with appropriate technique and playing position for their instrument and master 1st and 3rd position and explore an array of other left hand positions
- Understand and apply a vast array of articulations within music and exercises (minimally: detache, slur, staccato, hooked staccato, temolo, accent, portato, marcato, spiccato)
- Complete written analysis of a variety of musical selections, performances and musicians
- Complete a written record of their progress on assignments (lesson logs)
If you take this course, you must also take MU755-S2 – String Ensemble S2
Notes: Audition Required.