Southern Lakes Advanced Learners Network held 2023 Math Meets locally. Delavan-Darien School District students joined students from Clinton and Fontana on January 10th, 2023 at the Clinton High School.
Math Meet is a math competition consisting of problems from a variety of topics, including general problem solving, geometry, consumer math, mental math, and algebra. Students competed individually and as a team throughout the event. Students were selected by administering the Math Meet Screeners in combination with taking the standardized test scores as well as teacher recommendations.
Math Meet Program Goals are:
1) to stimulate interest in mathematics;
2) to recognize exceptional mathematical talent;
3) to provide a healthy academic environment.
Regional meets are divided into four regional divisions based on district enrollment numbers. Delavan-Darien School District was competing among 9 Extra Large school districts. There were two teams which consisted of eight students (5/6th and 7/8 - four students from each grade level). All scores were combined to make up the team’s final score:
- 5/6th grade team placed 8th. For some students this was their first time to compete academically at this level and they have shown a lot of potential and enthusiasm towards their future in mathematics.
- 7/8th grade team placed 6th overall. This is a great achievement and we are very proud of all our students who took this opportunity and competed fearlessly.
A special shout out to Katelyn Stearns who was the 7/8 grade team captain!
Individual standings are the following (each grade had 36 contestants):
5 Grade: Grace Johnson - 22nd; Adelle Binstock - 31 st; Aubrey Hill - 34th; Isaac Wells - 35th
6th grade: Celeste Esquivel Gama - 16th place; Charlotte Malloy - 20th; Colton Baumeister - 28th; Alexis Lee - 32nd; Peter Anderson (alternate); Kyra Kelly (alternate)
7th Grade: Jeremy Johnson - 17th; Laci Barrera - 28th; Owen Alter - 30th; Emma Meinen - 34th; Erik Deibert and Lilibeth Gomez (alternates).
8th grade: Andres Hernandez Escobar - 4th; Katelyn Stearns - 10th; Keifer Wolf - 15th; Caden Beckman - 29th; Brian Shackett and Isabella Falero (alternates)
We would not be able to have successful teams without our amazing Math Meet coaches: Kyle Polzin for the 5 and 6 grade students, and Steve Fouts for the 7th and 8th grade students.