AR351 Painting Studio
Course: AR351 Painting Studio
Grade: 10, 11, 12
Subject Area: Art
This course will build on techniques learned in Introduction to Drawing and Painting. Students will focus on more advanced painting media and techniques. Students will explore acrylic, watercolor, oil, and encaustic painting. Creations will involve developing a personal style of painting while working with real life, abstraction, and imaginary images. Students will be able to promote and share their ideas through class discussion and group techniques. Students must have a sketchbook and are strongly advised to purchase a set of paintbrushes.
- Understand and utilize the different definitions, supplies, rules, and techniques required for oil, acrylic, watercolor and acrylic painting
- Identify and create paintings utilizing the 5 major themes of art; portrait, figure, still life, landscape, and non-objective art
- Understand and demonstrate advanced color mixing techniques
- Demonstrate proper painting techniques using oil, acrylic, watercolor and acrylic paint
- Understand the concept of visual communication and begin to develop a personal voice in their own work
- Demonstrate proper matting and mounting techniques
- Critically analyze and evaluate and compare personal work with the work of other in a written format as well as becoming familiar with participating in group critiques
AR120 – Art Foundations
Students must have a sketchbook and are strongly advised to purchase a set of paintbrushes. Seniors may be exempt from prerequisite with instructor approval.