SC720 AP Physics
Course: SC720 AP Physics
Grade: 11, 12
Subject Area: Science
Type: Accelerated, Advanced Placement, Articulated Credits
This is a year-long course that requires selection of both semesters: S1 and S2 Advanced Program AP Physics 1 is the equivalent to a first-semester college course. This course will fulfill the physical science credit for graduation. This course includes the study of Newtonian mechanics (including rotational dynamics and angular momentum), electrostatics, and current electricity. This is a math-intensive course; therefore it is highly advised that students have successfully completed Algebra 2 in order to handle the rigor of this course. Due to the rigor of this class, only students who have successfully completed Physics are encouraged to enroll. Students enrolling for this advanced placement course are encouraged to take the AP exam in May.
- Use representations and models to communicate scientific phenomena and solve scientific problems
- Use mathematics appropriately
- Engage in scientific questioning to extend thinking or guide investigations within the context of the AP course
- Plan and implement data collection strategies in relation to a particular scientific question
- Perform data analysis and evaluation of evidence
- Work with scientific explanations
- Connect and relate knowledge across various scales, concepts, and representations in and across domains
Prerequisites: Algebra II, Physics, OR consent of instructor
Notes: It is advised that students complete Pre-Calculus prior to taking this course or at the same time. This course will fulfill the physical science credit for graduation.