LA400 English 11 – College Prep
Course: LA400 English 11 – College Prep
Grade: 11, 12
Subject Area: English
This is a year long course that requires selection of both semesters: S1 and S2. This is a challenging course that will help students develop the ability to think and write logically, and learn various ways of researching, organizing, and presenting ideas for a variety of purposes, audiences, and occasions. This course will help students build on previously learned language arts skills and introduce new and more complex literary terms for the purpose of reading, interpreting, and critically analyzing literature. This course will prepare students for AP English or college English. Students must purchase all reading materials. Summer homework is required.
- Read, interpret, evaluate, and critically analyze literary and nonliterary texts that recognize the breadth and depth of literature
- Demonstrate command of conventions of Standard English grammar, spelling, and usage when writing or speaking
- Develop AP level vocabulary in order to use phrases and words to improve written and oral communication
- Participate effectively in small and large group discussion as a way to enhance understanding of a text
- Write timed, subjective, formal literary analysis essays, focusing on relevant and significant literary elements as well as the universal themes found in literature
- Write using unity (clarity), coherence, and adequate development
- Develop effective test-taking strategies for both the multiple choice and written portions of the AP Exam
- Construct text annotations to aid in comprehension and analysis of texts.
English 10, English 10 Honors, or English 11
If you take this course, you must also take LA400-S2 – English 11 – College Prep S2