LA114 Honors Eng 9
Course: LA114 Honors Eng 9
Subject Area: English
Type: Standard, Honors
This is a year long course that requires selection of both semesters: S1 and S2. Strong work ethic and a minimum grade of B in English Language Arts 8. Students who select this course should have a MAP reading score of 228 or higher. The focus of English 9 Honors is to challenge students who have demonstrated exceptional work in the area of English. The course will improve and expand language arts skills (reading, writing, listening, speaking, and thinking) and their critical/analytical skills through an introduction to literary terms, literary analysis essay, and research writing. This course, or English 9, is required for graduation.
- Use examples from the text to support any given argument
- Determine a theme/central idea of a text (fiction/non-fiction)
- Analyze the use of literary elements in a piece of literature
- Read and comprehend a variety of genres (short stories, plays, poems, novels, non-fiction)
- Produce writing with a clear beginning, middle, and end
- Initiate discussions and participate effectively in a variety of formats
- Utilize vocabulary as a means to improve written and oral communication
- Demonstrate command of conventions of Standard English grammar, spelling, and usage when writing or speaking
If you take this course, you must also take LA114-S2 – Honors Eng 9 S2.
Strong work ethic and minimum grade of B in English Language Arts 8