MU500 Marching/Symphonic Band
Course: MU500 Marching/Symphonic Band
Grade: 9, 10, 11, 12
Subject Area: Music
In Marching Band/Symphonic Band brass and woodwind students are involved in a comprehensive, balanced band program that includes concert, marching, and pep band performances. Students are also expected to participate in selected rehearsals and performances outside of the school day including a band camp in late July/early August and subsequent post-camp rehearsals in August. Marching Band/Symphonic Band members will combine with Percussion Ensemble members for performances, and a master calendar of these events is provided at the beginning of the school year for student planning purposes.
Each student also attends individual band lessons on a regular basis as part of their grade. Students attend lessons during study hall, before/after school, during lunch, or on a limited rotating basis out of other classes; lessons are scheduled jointly with the student and director.
In addition to the performance aspect of the class, students will complete written work involving the critique of music and basic music theory.
Major highlights of the course include: Performances at home football games, The Cornfest Parade, The Fall Pops Concert, and The Winter Concert with the DDHS Orchestra.
This course is offered during Fall semester.
- Experience, in rehearsal and performance, major works by master composers of various cultures, historical eras, and musical genres
- Perform with appropriate balance, intonation, tone quality, and stage presentation
- Participate in a structured rehearsal demonstrating understanding of each musician’s role and expectations within the rehearsal
- Understand and apply rhythm-reading and note-reading concepts appropriate for the level of experience
- Understand extensive music vocabulary and apply their meaning in performance and written work
- Understand and apply a vast array of articulations within music and pedagogical exercises
- Recognize appropriate tonality within individual parts and perform those parts with appropriate technique
- Complete written analysis and critique of a variety of musical selections, performances, and musicians and share those documents electronically
Audition or recommendation of previous instrumental music instructor.
Students taking this course should enroll in Concert Band or Symphonic Winds to continue band during Spring semester.